HIKE TO THE ACTIVE LAVA WITH THE PROFESSIONALS WHO KNOW WHERE TO GO.
LAVA UPDATE August 27 2014 LAVA IS ACTIVE AND READY FOR YOU TO POKE!!!
LAVA CONDITIONS HAVE CHANGED! No lava flows down in Kalapana! So no ocean entry or surface flows at the End of Highway 130 at this time.
Lava is now flowing on the North East side of the Pu’u O’o Crater and is 9 miles hike round trip through the rain forest which is VERY Muddy! I’m talking up above the tops of your knees in several places! Lava viewing is awesome, but a bit of a challenge getting to.
Cost is $155.00 per person (plus tax) which includes the shuttle to and from the trail head (45 mins. ea. way) also includes back packs, lunches, waters, snacks, gloves and headlamps (when needed). This hike takes ALL day. Two hikes daily (except Sundays we’re off) 9 am-8 pm and that of course depends on the pace of the group. Once you arrive at the office (in Hilo) you will then order your lunches and prepare your backpacks, then take the shuttle towards Volcanoes Parks, (but not in the Parks) to private land near Glennwood area to start your trek. The first 3 miles in, is the hardest and muddiest. You will travel at about 1 mile per hour. Once you break out of the rain forest you’ll come to the pahoehoe lava and hike a bit more to the leading edge. Now that is where the action is! Lava is very Poke A Stickable! Bring the marshmallows for roasting
Just like our tee shirts say, this hike is not for wimps!!! Feel the heat under your feet.
Call to book your tour 808-987-3456 Mahalo Scott and Cheryl
THIS IS AN ADVENTURE YOU WON’T SOON FORGET!!
At Poke-A-Stick Guided Lava Tours , our goal is to walk right up to the red-hot lava and actually poke a stick into it! Our guides are experienced and knowledgeable, and we are a licensed and insured company.
What you’ll need to bring:
- Cargo Pants work best (light weight) (the kind that zip the bottom half off) or jean pants.
- Knee high socks.
- A change of clothes, (shorst and flip flops)
- Light rain jacket or (poncho are provided)
- Sunscreen and sun hat
- Cheap Light weight shoes ( that you can throw away when done)
- Hiking Boots are OK, but not needed
- A good attitude for mud!
- Don’t forget your camera with fresh batteries
- View these awesome videos (by Lindsay Crawford) from one of our hikes: Poke-A-Stick Read about us in this article from Grassroots News: Living By Lava Ask about military and larger group discounts. Due to continually changing conditions, pricing and departure times may vary. Please call us for details. CHECK OUT OUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS!! Crazy Hot Lava Flows, Lunch on the Lava. DAILY TOURS: Directions to Poke-a Stick Lava Tours Click here to view or print directions to Poke-A-Stick (as a PDF file).. Read our liability waiver form. ( Directions have changed, now meeting in Hilo)